Solar panels generate power by harnessing the sun’s energy and converting it into electricity for your home. Here’s how the process works:
- Once sunlight reaches your panels, photons and electrons interact to create an electrical current.
- The electrical current travels from your solar panels to your solar inverter, which converts the energy that your panels generate into power that you can use for your home.
- Afterward, the inverter sends that solar power to your breaker box, which sends the energy around the home to power your devices.
- If you have any unused energy, your breaker box sends the energy back to your utility meter for later use. Depending on where you live, you could potentially send this excess energy back to the power grid in exchange for energy credits on future electric bills.
Benefits of Solar In Columbia
There are plenty of reasons to consider solar panels for your Columbia-area home. The combination of potential financial and environmental benefits could have a significant return on investment for your home. Here are a few benefits you could potentially expect to see when you go solar:
- Own Your Power — When you generate your power, you can worry less about constant utility rate increases. This means you can protect your family by avoiding spikes in energy costs and decrease your dependence on the grid.
- Potentially Reduce Your Electric Bill — Owning your power can help you potentially save thousands of dollars on future electric bills.
- Qualify For Federal Tax Credit –Qualified homeowners can currently claim a federal tax credit of up to 26% for installing solar panels on their property.5
- Potentially Increase Your Property’s Value — Research shows that solar can raise your home’s value, which means you could see a high return on investment if you decide to sell your home. When you go solar, your neighbors can see how solar energy impacts your daily life.
- Reduce Your Carbon Footprint — With solar energy, homeowners and business owners can choose a green alternative to fossil fuels and do their part in protecting the earth.
What Happens to Excess Solar Energy?
Since solar panels produce more than enough energy throughout the day, chances are you have unused solar energy. Here’s how you can use that solar energy to your benefit:
Store excess energy in a backup battery.3
If your panels produce excess energy, the extra power can be stored in your Generac battery backup to be used in the event of a grid power outage or at night when your panels are not producing any electricity. In addition, the stored energy can fill the gaps when your home’s solar panels are not producing at full capacity.
Use excess energy via net metering.
Net metering is the process of sending extra energy that your solar panels produce back to the grid in exchange for credits on future electric bills. If your panels produce extra energy, you can be credited for the energy you sell back (often at a 1-to-1 ratio), meaning that you sell it back at the same price you would buy it. This is a great incentive for using solar energy, but it’s important to note that some utility companies do not offer net metering. Availability, excess credits and other requirements vary by area and utility providers.
Solar Panel Installation In Columbia
- First, fill out a form for a free quote. Then, one of our solar representatives will contact you to see if you qualify for solar. Also, we’ll learn more about your property and schedule your free in-home consultation at your convenience.
- At your free in-home visit, one of our solar consultants will further analyze your home to find the best size solar system for you. We will also evaluate your energy bills and discuss your energy goals. Once we’re done with this step, we’ll present a custom proposal based on your home’s unique energy needs. After you sign your contract, we’ll get started on the prep work for your solar installation!
- On installation day, we’ll arrive at your home ready to install your solar panels! Our team works diligently to ensure that there is no damage to your roof or home. Once we’re done, we’ll thoroughly test your system to see if everything works correctly. Afterward, we’ll clean up our workspace and leave your home the way we found it.
Cost of Solar
Solar energy is more affordable than ever in Columbia, which means it’s a great time for you to go solar! Since every home is different, the cost for your solar system depends on your home energy usage, your home, and your savings goals. The best way to find out how many solar panels you need is to talk to our solar experts.
To calculate the cost of your solar panels, we factor in how many watts your home typically uses per day. Once we have that number, our designers and engineers can start planning your custom solar solution.
Your Columbia Solar Panel Installation Cost Includes The Following:
This includes the solar panels, inverters, wiring, conduit, mounting racks and mounting hardware.
A Custom Solar System
Once you sign the contract, our team begins designing a system, filing the relevant permits and proceeding with the setup for your installation.
A Time And Date For Your Installation
On the day of installation, our team carefully installs and tests your system to ensure that it’s working properly, then cleans up your property as though we were never there!